Video 2: Teacher as Writer
Watch the 30-minute video "Teacher as Writer." Apply what you have learned in "Building a Community of Writers" as you watch the extended video of other teachers' classes.
Answer the questions that follow each segment, jotting down your answers in your notebook or using them as discussion starters.
Christine Sanchez's Class
Christine Sanchez talks about a piece she is writing for her mother and shares a story web she developed as a prewriting exercise.
- What characteristics of Christine's writing piece make it a particularly good model for her students?
- What specific writing skills or strategies does Christine model?
Latosha Rowley's Class
Latosha Rowley shares a poem she has written about her baby to include in the body of poetry the students are studying as writing models.
- What aspects of a "writerly life" does Latosha model for her class?
- How do Latosha's students respond to her poem? What do their responses suggest about the effectiveness of teachers sharing their own work?
Silvia Edgerton's Class
Silvia Edgerton models her thinking as she goes through her writer's notebook looking for ideas for a nonfiction piece.
- What evidence do you see that Silvia frequently shares her work with her students?
- What specific thinking processes does Silvia model?
- What guides Silvia's topic selection in addition to her notebook entries?