What Did You Learn?
Think about what you have learned about teaching English language learners from Professor Jiménez's comments and the classroom examples. Write a summary of what you have learned. Use the questions below to guide your thinking. When you have finished, save your written work to submit as an assignment and, if you are taking this workshop for credit, include it in your Literacy Practices Portfolio.
- Which ideas from the video were most helpful to you in teaching your students who are learning English as a second language?
- What changes in your classroom environment will you make to support English language learners?
- How will you include students in choosing books and other classroom materials that reflect their language and culture?
- What instructional strategies or practices might you begin to implement immediately?
- What questions do you still have about meeting the needs of English language learners?
If you are taking this workshop for credit, complete the next section of the Literacy Practices Portfolio.