What Did You Learn?
Consider what you have learned about fluency and word study from Professor Allington's comments, the classroom examples, and the readings and activities in this session. Write a summary of what you have learned. Use the questions below to guide your thinking. When you have finished, save your written work to submit as an assignment and, if you are taking this workshop for credit, include it in your Literacy Practices Portfolio.
- Which aspects of the video relate to what you currently do to promote fluency and word study?
- How will you use the ideas in this session to improve your students' reading fluency and word knowledge across the curriculum?
- What changes will you need to make in your instruction and the texts you use to enhance your students' reading fluency and word knowledge?
- What will you consider when selecting vocabulary to teach before reading?
- How will you differentiate instruction in your vocabulary program to maximize learning for all students?
If you are taking this workshop for credit, complete the next section of the Literacy Practices Portfolio.