When you come across words that may be unfamiliar to students, how do you decide which words to focus on? This activity is designed to help you identify the three tiers of vocabulary words, based on the article by Beck and McKeown that you read earlier in this session. You will read an excerpt, identify words that present new vocabulary for your students, and then categorize words by tier in order to focus your teaching.
When you have finished the interactive activity, jot down your answers to the following questions:
- How did you decide which words to explicitly teach (Tier 2) and which words to mention or clarify (Tier 3)?
- What instructional strategies will you use to teach Tier 2 words?
- What instructional strategies will you use to teach Tier 3 words?
- What instructional strategies will you use to provide students additional review and practice on Tier 2 words so that they become part of their working vocabulary?
- What questions do you have about selecting appropriate vocabulary to teach?
Next > Tips for New Teachers