In Search of the Novel:Teacher-TalkNovel
Subject: Re: QuestionFrom: ATHENAN418@aol.com
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 09:21:24 EST
- Next message: ATHENAN418@aol.com: "Re: Question"
- Previous message: ATHENAN418@aol.com: "Re: Questions"
- Maybe in reply to: Andrea Martine: "Question"
- Next in thread: ATHENAN418@aol.com: "Re: Question"
- Messages sorted by: [ date ] [ thread ] [ subject ] [ author ]
I know exactly what you mean. Oftentimes I tell my students don't read to
look for something. Just read to enjoy the text and see how it opens your
thinking to some other world view. They almost always laugh and respond, "Oh
sure until it is time for the test."
As a result, I have decided to have each student teach their favorite text
next year. They pick the book. I present a generic novel packet of guidelines
and they have to figure out what to do. My real work will be making sure they
do what they need to do over the summer in order to be ready for September.