In Search of the Novel:Teacher-TalkNovel
Subject: Re: QuestionFrom: Julia Shugert (email@example.com)
Date: Wed Mar 22 2000 - 14:19:44 EST
- Next message: Cindy O'Donnell-Allen: "Re: Question"
- Previous message: Denee Stevenson : "Frankenstein--for what ability?"
- Maybe in reply to: Andrea Martine: "Question"
- Next in thread: Cindy O'Donnell-Allen: "Re: Question"
- Messages sorted by: [ date ] [ thread ] [ subject ] [ author ]
I think it would be wonderful to get students hooked on classics
from an early age. I know that Douglas was hooked on TOM SAWYER
because his third grade teacher read excerpts to him. Elementary
teachers can lay a solid foundation for their children with excerpts
from the classics.
There are times when I feel as though I am helping my students dissect
wonderful pieces of literature when we really should be enjoying them
for the sake of their beauty. I try to have them analyze the vocabulary,
characters, etc. Does anyone else ever feel like that?