Your Name: _____________________________________________
Think about your history as a writer. Use the spaces here to answer these questions. You can also attach other sheets with your answers.
- Is writing usually easy or difficult for you? Please explain why you feel this way-- when has it been pleasurable, when has it been painful?
- To you, is writing more of a happy and creative experience, or an experience that means just following a set of rigid rules to express yourself about an idea someone else thinks is important? Explain.
- Have you ever completed a piece that you feel particularly proud of having written? If so, what was it about that piece that made you proud?
- What kinds of feedback have you gotten about your writing from past teachers?
- What genres have you written in (e.g., poetry, short stories, essays, etc.)? Which is your favorite?
- What topics do you usually like to write about?
- Do you keep a journal?
- Do you prefer to compose by hand or on the computer?
- At home, where do you write—at a desk, at the kitchen or dining room table, in bed, on the couch? Do you like to write in a quiet room or with background noise (TV, radio, etc.?).
- What, in your opinion, makes good writing?
- Who are your favorite professional writers?
- Why do you think writing is important?
- Is there one particular area of your writing that you’d like to improve? How can I help you?
View as PDF
Back to "In the Classroom" main page