Read about Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology, Susie's school.
- Has been teaching English for almost fifteen years
- Currently teaches 12th grade Advanced Placement Language and Advanced Placement Literature at Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology in Alexandria, Virginia
Professional books that have made a difference in Susie's teaching-with annotations:
Back to People Index
- The English Teacher's Companion: A complete guide to Classroom, Curriculum, and the Profession by Jim Burke (Heinemann, ISBN: 0325005389)
"A practical, easy to read book about opening up and developing a substantive English class. Comes with companion website."
- Illuminating Texts: How to Teach Students to Read the World by Jim Burke (Heinemann, 2001, ISBN: 0867094974)
"Focus on reading a range of texts in various ways for different purposes and integrating literary texts to support essential conversations in the classroom. May be read by chapter or in bits and pieces."
- Writing With Power: Techniques for Mastering the Writing Process by Peter Elbow (Oxford University Press, ISBN: 0195120183)
- Writing Without Teachers by Peter Elbow (Oxford University Press, Paperback ISBN: 0195120167)
- For the Good of the Earth and Sun: Teaching Poetry by Georgia Heard (Heinemann, ISBN: 043508495X)
"Makes writing poetry in a poetry workshop setting sound inviting and accessible. Focus on elementary years but many ideas (e.g. revision, conferencing) translate to secondary level.
- Making Your Own Days: The Pleasures of Reading and Writing Poetry by Kenneth Koch (Scribner, ISBN: 068482438)
"A beautifully written book that inspires love for poetry and its special language."
- Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life by Anne LaMott (Anchor, ISBN: 0385480016)
"An entertaining and accessible approach to fiction writing."
- Writing to Be Read by Ken Macrorie (Boynton-Cook, ISBN: 0867091339)
- Write to Learn by Donald Murray (Heinle, ISBN: 0155065122)
- Seeking Diversity: Language Arts with Adolescents by Linda Rief (Heinemann, ISBN: 0435085980)
"Makes a persuasive case for reading and writing workshop."
- Blending Genre, Altering Style: Writing Multigenre Papers by Tom Romano (Boynton/Cook, ISBN: 0867094788)
"Why teachers should consider assigning multigenre papers and how to include them in English classes. Contains many mini-lessons to help students develop different genres and persuasive student models".
- Writing Analytically by Jill Stephen Rosenwasser, David Rosenwasser (Harcourt, ASIN: 0155018892)
"How to move way beyond the five-paragraph essay!"
- The English Language Arts Handbook: Classroom Strategies for Teachers by Stephen N. Tchudi and Susan J. Tchudi (Boynton/Cook, ISBN: 086709463X)