Watching the Program (60 minutes)
Error - unable to load content - Flash
The information sheets below provide helpful background on the classrooms, programs, and schools featured in each segment:
Segment 1: Theatre (PDF)
Segment 2: Dance (PDF)
Segment 3: Visual Art (PDF)
Segment 4: Music (PDF)
THEATRE Joseph Mancuso and Andrea Arden Monologues/Building Confidence
- What techniques did Andrea use in Acting I to encourage students to take creative risks? In Acting II, how did Joe build on the foundation Andrea created?
- How do you encourage students to push beyond boundaries and take creative risks?
DANCE Mary Harding Modern Dance Technique
- What were the benefits to Mary’s students of giving each other feedback?
- How do you nurture self-confidence and respect in your classroom?
VISUAL ART Jon Murray Art Department Community
- Students in this segment are comfortable seeking feedback and setting their own priorities. In what ways do the teachers help foster these characteristics?
- What opportunities do your students have to get feedback from peers and faculty members?
MUSIC William Taylor Vocal Improvisation
- How does Will structure the improvisation lesson to build students’ confidence and respect for each other? How does this benefit his students as singers?
- How do you help your students gain confidence in their own abilities?
NEXT: Activities and Discussion