The Art of Teaching the Arts examines how seven "principles of artful teaching" influence the curricular and instructional choices that high school arts teachers make. Each program in the workshop includes examples of teaching in dance, music, theatre, and visual art.
This program begins with teachers sharing passionate insights about why they teach the arts to young people. Then short classroom segments illustrate how arts teachers meet the needs and imaginations of their students by using the seven principles:
- Developing students as artists
- Addressing the diverse needs of students
- Choosing instructional approaches
- Creating rich learning environments
- Fostering genuine communication
- Making the most of community resources
- Nurturing independent thinkers
Subsequent programs will examine each principle in depth.