- Classroom Instruction that Works, Research-Based Strategies
for Increasing Student Achievement, (2001), by Marzano, Pickering,
and Pollack, ASCD, "Generating and Testing Hypotheses,"
- Creating Interactive Environments in the Secondary School (1993), by
Stover, Neubert, and Lawlor, National Education Association, pp. 11-26.
- GIS in Schools, Richard Audet and Gail Ludwig, ESRI Press, 2000.
Edge City: Life on the New Frontier, Joel Garreau, Anchor Books, 1991.
- United States Department of Commerce Census Bureau
This site has demographic data from the census available for downloading,
data broken down by subject matter, and a guide to printed publications.
- City of San Antonio
This site features sections detailing city growth and management policies
and plans, featured in Phil Rodriguez's classroom.
- San Antonio Master Plan
This site features information on the master plan for San Antonio's
urban design, natural resources, and economic development, among other
- The City and County of Denver
Under the "Searchables" section can be found Denver Maps,
including Enterprise Zone maps similar to those used by Rick Gindele.
- Digital Divide Project
- At the Entrance to the Garden of Eden: A Jew's Search for God
with Christians and Muslims in the Holy Land (2001), Yossi Klein
Halevi, William Morrow & Co.
Given the inseparable nature of religion and state in the Middle East, Halevi
asks whether the common bonds of faith among Jews, Muslims, and Christians
can heal the wounds that politics cannot.
- A History of God: The 4,000-Year Quest of Judaism, Christianity and Islam (1994),
Karen Armstrong, Ballantine Books.
Armstrong traces the circuitous road to monotheism, showing how Judaism,
Christianity, and Islam have overlapped and influenced each other.
- Islam: A Short History (2000), Karen Armstrong, Modern Library.
Armstrong discusses the roots of Islam, its expansion into a political
empire, clashes with Western crusaders, the debacle of European colonialism,
and how Islamic fundamentalism has become a present-day, worldwide
- The World Bank: HIV/AIDS
- AllAfrica Global Media
AllAfrica Global Media is the leading provider of African news and information
worldwide, through news feeds to institutional and agency clients and through
- World Health Organization
"AIDS Study In Africa Could Have US Benefits"
- Time Magazine
This URL links to a Time Magazine dealing with issues of the Third
World, including a special report called
"The Hands of Death: Scenes from the AIDS front."
- Population Reference Bureau (PRB): 2000 World Population Data Sheet
PRB's popular World Population Data Sheet, in a wallchart format and
12-page book edition, contains the latest population data.
"AIDS' staggering toll in Africa"
"Parts of Africa Showing HIV in 1 in 4 Adults"
This article includes excellent maps.
- World Population Profile: 1998
"World Population Profile: 1998 is the latest published compendium
and analysis of data on population, fertility, mortality, contraceptive
use and related demographic topics by the U.S. Census Bureau. The Special
Focus section of the report provides an update on one of the fundamental
international health and demographic events of our time--the worldwide
- Report: The Impact of HIV/AIDS on Population Growth in Africa
- Report: Data and Decision-making: Demography's Contribution to Understanding
AIDS in Africa
"HIV Epidemic Slowing Population Growth"
- AIDS in Africa
This website offers questions and answers regarding AIDS in Africa, providing
a general overview on the issue.
- AIDS Foundation of South Africa
"New Cases of HIV Decline in Africa for First Time"
- Ongoing Report: Death Watch: AIDS, Drugs and Africa
- Useful Graphics:
Global Map and Table: AIDS in the Year 2000
AIDS Diffusion in Africa over past 15 years
The Rising Death Curve
- UNAIDS: United Nations Programme on AIDS/HIV
This site of the United Nations Programme on AIDS/HIV links to several interesting
Article: "AIDS in Africa"
- MSNBC's AIDS in Africa: A Deadly Epidemic Sweeps the Continent http://www.msnbc.com/modules/aids_in_Africa/aIDs_in_Africa_front.asp
This site has an excellent slide show along with statistics. The pictures
are very disturbing.
- The Power of Place: World Regional Geography, (2000), Cambridge
Studios for Annenberg Media, Video Program 8,
"Central and Remote Economic Development." Go to http://www.learner.org.
- Geography: Realms, Regions and Concepts 9th edition (2000),
de Blij and Muller, Chapter 2: "Russia."
- A Teacher's Guide to Performance-Based Assessment in Geography (1999)
National Geographic Society, "An Explanation of Performance-Based Assessment," pp.7-10.
- The Case for Constructivist Classrooms (1993) J. Brooks and
M. Brooks, "Some
Guiding Principles of Constructivism,"
- Educational Leadership (November 1999), "Courage to be a Constructivist,"
J. Brooks and M. Brooks, pp. 18-25.
- Journal of Geography (August 2000) " Industrialization and Economic
Development in Advanced Placement Geography,"
Adrian Bailey, pp. 142-153.
- Understanding by Design (1998) ASCD, "The Six Facets of Understanding,"
Grant Wiggins and Jay McTighe, pp. 44-62.
- Lesson Plan - Understanding the Kosovo/a Conflict
A lesson on media bias, based on the Kosovo Conflict. Includes links to many
articles and National Public Radio sound clips.
- Lesson Plan - Yugoslavia Returns from International Isolation
Through this lesson, students will evaluate different perspectives
on the transfer of power in Yugoslavia, discuss international organizations'
roles in the rebuilding of Yugoslavia, examine the past conflict and
evolving events in the restoration of the Yugoslav government, and
relate the conflict in Yugoslavia to similar conflicts and peace processes
in the world.
- Lesson Plan - NATO and Russia: Will the Expansion of NATO Cause
a New Cold War?
In this role-playing lesson, students act as part of a delegation to
a special meeting of the NATO sponsored Euro-Atlantic Partnership Council.
They discuss inviting a number of the independent republics of the
former Soviet Union to become permanent members of NATO.
- Lesson Plan - Peter the Great
Through this activity, students adopt the persona of Peter the Great
in order to understand how his travels affected Russia's modernization
and European influence. Provides ideas for urban planning lessons based
on St. Petersburg as well as suggested readings.
- Lesson Plan - Russia Interactive Lesson
In this lesson plan, students first view websites in order to trace
the history of the Russia since the Soviet Union. Then, playing the
roles of presidents of an international corporation, students write
memos about opening a branch in Russia.
- Journal for Staff Development, (Fall, 2000), "Peak Experience,"
by Robert Garmstron, pp. 58-64.
- Journal of Geography, (August, 2000), " Cultural Patterns and Processes
in Advanced Placement Human Geography,"
Journal of Geography, ( August, 2000 ), "Cities and Urban Land Use in Advanced
Placement Geography," pp. 153-168.
- NEA Journal (May 1969), " Check Your Inquiry Teaching Techniques," Mary
Sugrue and Jo A. Sweeney, pp. 43-46.
- Social Education (March 1997) "Using the Geographic Perspective to Enrich
History," Sarah Bednarz, pp. 139-143.
- Educational Leadership (January 1983) "The Art and Craft of Teaching,"
Elliot Eisner, pp. 6-13.
- The Case for Constructivist Classrooms (1993), ASCD, Jacqueline
and Martin Brooks, 128pp.
- Educational Leadership (November 1999) "The Many Faces of Constructivism,"
David Perkins, pp.6-13.
- World Cultures Curriculum Kit: The Material World, Families
around the World (2000) Poster Education, Item 10-6342, at Postereducation.com.
- Journal of Geography (Sept/Oct 2000) " Teaching Social Justice: Reviving
Geography's Neglected Tradition," Christopher Merrett, pp. 202-218.
- The Berlin Wall System
Berlin Wall interactive activity.
- Newseum: The Berlin Wall
Includes "Two sides, One story," a presentation about news
transmission on either side of the wall.
- Lesson Plan - Industry: Where and Why?
Using a series of maps of Europe, students investigate the relationship
between major industrial centers and population centers.
- Lesson Plan - Mock Environmental Summit
In this activity, students simulate an environmental Summit, using
pertinent data they have collected about Europe. Along the way they
will also observe the difficulties involved in solving environmental
problems while maintaining a global consensus.
- Lesson Plan - The Euro or the European Monetary Unit
In this lesson, students analyze the benefits that one large European
Union has over smaller individual countries and the effect the Euro
will have on Western Europe.
- Lesson Plan - The European Union: A Political Model for the Next
In order to view this lesson plan, you must first join Education Planet.
Membership is free and includes access to their database of lesson
plans. In this lesson, students are first introduced to the European
Union and then assume the roles of member nations in a cooperative
- Social Education (March 1997) "Technology and the Social
- Learning Through [Inquiry] Geography (1993) NCGE, Frances
- The Teacher Educator (summer, 1991) " Using Inductive Learning to Construct
Content Knowledge," Gloria A. Neubert and James B. Binko, pp.31-38.
- Educational Leadership (January 1990) "The Structural Approach to Cooperative
learning," Spencer Kagan, pp. 12-18.
- Journal of Geography (August 2000) "Population in Advanced Placement
Human Geography," Martha Sharma, pp.99-111.
- Journal of Geography (December 2000) "An Approach to
Teaching Applied GIS," John Benhart, Jr. pp.245-254.
- Educational Leadership (January 2001) "Educational Demographics: What
Teachers Should Know," Harold Hodgkinson, pp. 6-11.
- Teaching Geography in the Disciplines (1996) Phi Delta Kappa
Fastback, James B Binko and Gloria A. Neubert, 64pp.
- Fieldwork in the Geography Curriculum (2001) NCGE, Gwenda
Rice and Teresa Bulman.
- Journal of Geography (March/April, 1995) "Using Inquiry to Enhance the
Learning and Appreciation of Geography," Phil Klein, pp. 358-367.
- Wetlands: Science, Politics, and Geographical Relationships (1994)
NCGE, Benhart and Margin.
- Water in the Global Environment (1992) NCGE, Marvin Waterstone,
- Every Drop For Sale: Our Desperate Battle Over Water in a World About to
Run Out, Jeffry Rothfelder, Penguin Putnam, Inc., 2001.
- The Londonderry School
Teacher Mary Pat Evans' school.
- Mary Pat Evans' students' projects using GIS and GIT
- GIS at the Londonderry School
- International Forum on Globalization
Join activists, scholars, economists, researchers, and writers as they discuss
the consequences of globalization.
- Management of Social Transformations Programme
This site provides extensive information and links on a variety of
comparative social science topics.
- NikeWatch Campaign
Includes reports on factory conditions, news updates, and information
on how you can get involved in persuading Nike to respect workers'
- Antone Minthorn Presentation
Transcript of "Cooperation in Natural Resource Management: The Umatilla Basin
Success Story &Treaty Rights Can Benefit Non-Indians Too," presented
by Antone Minthorn, Chairman, Board of Trustees, Confederated Tribes
of the Umatilla Indian Reservation at the Who Owns America Conference.
"Overfishing Long Ago Tied to Modern Ecosystem Collapse"
"Geographic Launches Project to Promote Protection of US Rivers"
- The Umatilla Basin Project
Includes details about the Umatilla Basin conflict and resolution.
- Bartram's Garden
Marlene Brubaker's students take a field trip to Bartram's Garden.
- Social Education (March 1997) " A Trip to Historic Philadelphia
on the Web," Elizabeth Wilson, pp. 170-172.
- Residential Water Conservation Techniques
This website offers a simple interactive program on water conservation.
- Pennsylvania Spatial Data Access
Geography Action! is an annual conservation and awareness program designed
to educate and excite people about natural, cultural, and historic treasures.
Each year they celebrate a different topic related to conservation and the
- Learning Science Through Inquiry, (2000), Thirteen/WNET New
York with the Education Development Center (EDC) for Annenberg Media,
Video Program 6, "Bring It All Together: Processing for Meaning During Inquiry." Go