||About This Workshop
About the Advisors Who Guided This
These dedicated educators and researchers guided this project. You can learn more about them in the Introduction of Engaging With Literature: A Workshop for Teachers, Grades 3-5 guide.
- Judith Langer, Ph.D., is Distinguished Professor
of Education at the University at Albany, State University
of New York, and Director, National Research Center on
English Learning & Achievement (CELA). Dr.
Langer is the chief content advisor for this and other projects in the Envisioning Literature series.
- Dale Allender currently serves as the Associate
Executive Director of the National Council of Teachers of
- Arthur N. Applebee, Ph.D., is Professor in the
School of Education, University at Albany, State University
of New York, and (with Judith Langer) is Director of the
federally sponsored National Research Center on English
Learning and Achievement. (CELA).
- Corrine Falope has devoted over thirty years to
teaching in the classroom. She currently serves as Social
Studies Teacher Leader at Lynwood Elementary in New York's
Guilderland Central School District.
- Cora Lee Five is a fifth-grade teacher at
Edgewood School in Scarsdale, New York. She has been
teaching in New York for over 20 years.
- James Flood, Ph.D., is professor of Reading and
Literacy Development at San Diego State University's School
of Teacher Education.
- Michele Anderson Goady is Reading Specialist for
the Maryland State Department of Education and
a Faculty Associate at The Johns Hopkins University.
- Taffy E. Raphael, Ph.D., is currently professor
of Curriculum and Instruction at the University of
- Karen Smith, Ph.D., serves as Associate Professor
of Curriculum and Instruction at the College of Education of
Arizona State University, Tempe.