program explores management practices in three elementary schools that
replaced their traditional curriculums with a schoolwide emphasis on the
As you watch this program, consider these questions:
- What steps would school administrators take to begin the transformation
to arts-based teaching and learning?
- What challenges would an administrator expect to encounter in converting
to an arts-based school?
- What challenges were encountered by each of the administrators in
- How did the administrators address these challenges?
- What new skills would an administrator need to manage a successful
transition from a traditional to an arts-based curriculum?
Consider the similarities and differences in the approaches used by
schools in this program teaching arts subjects as core subject
areas and integrating the arts with other subject areas:
- Can you find examples of how each approach is used by the schools?
- Can both approaches be used in the same curriculum? Look for examples
of where this happens.
Administrators in this program credit the arts for helping students
reach academic standards and other goals. Look for examples of benefits
cited by the administrators. Consider what benefits arts-based learning
could bring to your school.