In the Images of World Literature slideshow, you saw ancient images inspired by Journey to the West/Monkey. Here at Connections, you can find modern interpretations, analyses, and performances of the story.
- Monkey Goes West — This 1966 movie from Hong Kong is a live-action retelling of the story of the journey made by the Buddhist priest Hsuan Tsang, Monkey, Pigsy, and Sandy.
- A Chinese Odyssey — A 1995 live-action version of the tale of Monkey, this is derived from the story of Journey to the West rather than faithful to it.
- Monkey — a Japanese live-action television show from the 1970s that recounts the story of Hsuan Tsang's journey to India with his three disciples.
- Monkey — a wonderful "comic" book of the story; scroll to the bottom of the page for links to each page of the comic.
- Monkey: Journey to the West: the Opera — by pop musicians Damon Albarn & Jamie Hewlett.
- The Lost Empire — 2001 Sci-Fi channel miniseries based on Journey to the West
- Saiyuki — 1978 kung fu TV show based on Journey to the West
- The Forbidden Kingdom — 2008 kung-fu movie about rescuing the Monkey King.
- Katsuya Terada, The Monkey King (graphic novel).
- Ji-Li Jiang, The Magical Monkey King: Mischief in Heaven (children's book)