- Michael Balter, "Why Settle Down? The Mystery of Communities," Science 282, no. 5393 (November 20, 1998), 1442-45.
- Jared Diamond, Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies (New York: W. W. Norton, 1997).
- Brian Fagan, People of the Earth: An Introduction to World Prehistory, 10th ed. (Upper Saddle River, NY: Prentice Hall, 2003).
- John A. Mears, "Agricultural Origins in Global Perspective," in Agricultural and Pastoral Societies, ed. Michael Adas, 36-70 (Philadelphia: Temple University Press, 2001).
- Clive Ponting, A Green History of the World. (1991; repr., New York: Penguin USA, 1993).
- T. Douglas Price and Gary M. Feinman, Images of the Past (New York: Mayfield Publishing, 1993).
- Orrin C. Shane III and Mine Kucuk, "The World's First City," Archaeology 51, no. 2 (March/April, 1998).
FEATURED SOURCE MATERIAL
- Steve Weber, archaeologist