UNIT 13: Family and Household
- Steven Ozment. When Fathers Ruled: Family Life in Reformation Europe (Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 1983).
- David Herlihy, "Family," The American Historical Review, 96 (1991) 1-16.
- Sarah Shaver Hughes and Brady Hughes, eds., Women in World History: Readings from 1500 to the Present 2 vols. (London: M.E. Sharpe, 1997).
- Patricia B. Ebrey, "The Chinese Family and the Spread of Confucian Values," in Gilbert Rozman, ed., The East Asian Region: Confucian Heritage and Its Modern Adaptation (Princeton U. Press, 1991), 45-83.
- Tamara K. Hareven, "The History of the Family and the Complexity of Social Change," The American Historical Review 96 (1991), 95-124.
- Hugh Cunningham, "Histories of Childhood, "The American Historical Review 103 (1998), 1195-1208.
FEATURED SOURCE MATERIAL
- Christoforo Fioravanti, Italian traveler
- Ban Zhao, Chinese woman scholar
- Li Qingzhao, Chinese woman poet
- Gu Ruopu, Chinese woman
- Sakhawi, Muslim biographer