Now let's watch a video excerpt (duration 9:02) of Dot Doyle's 11th- and 12th-grade class working on this problem.
As you watch the video, keep these questions in mind:
- What evidence is there that the students understood the use of a tree diagram for this problem?
- When did the teacher decide to introduce the idea of switching from a tree diagram to matrices? Why?
- What specifically did the students understand about the matrix representation, and how did the teacher elicit such information?
- How does the class organization and structure support an exploration of representation? Give examples to support your answer.
- How could the teacher extend the problem?
Observe in detail