After that discussion of questions, here are several in the form of your first journal. Please complete this journal and then save it as your first entry. When you have completed the course you may wish to review your answers as a way of evaluating your work in the course.
For reference, here is the list of the content standards again.
Instructional programs from pre-kindergarten through grade 12 should enable all students to do the following:
NCTM Communication Standard
NCTM Problem-Solving Standard
- Organize and consolidate their mathematical thinking through communication
- Communicate their mathematical thinking coherently and clearly to peers, teachers, and others
- Analyze and evaluate the mathematical thinking and strategies of others
- Use the language of mathematics to express mathematical ideas precisely
NCTM Reasoning and Proof Standard
- Build new mathematical knowledge through problem solving
- Solve problems that arise in mathematics and in other contexts
- Apply and adapt a variety of appropriate strategies to solve problems
- Monitor and reflect on the process of mathematical problem solving
NCTM Representation Standard
- Recognize reasoning and proof as fundamental aspects of mathematics
- Make and investigate mathematical conjectures
- Develop and evaluate mathematical arguments and proofs
- Select and use various types of reasoning and methods of proof
NCTM Connections Standard
- Create and use representations to organize, record, and communicate mathematical ideas
- Select, apply, and translate among mathematical representations to solve problems
- Use representations to model and interpret physical, social, and mathematical phenomena
Questions to write and reflect about:
- Recognize and use connections among mathematical ideas
- Understand how mathematical ideas interconnect and build on one another to produce a coherent whole
- Recognize and apply mathematics in contexts outside of mathematics
Three ways to write and reflect:
- What knowledge about the process standards do you have now?
- What questions did you bring to this course about the process standards, and what new questions has this session prompted for you?
- What one thing do you hope to gain from this course?
- If you were asked by a colleague to explain the value of the standards, what would you say?
Be sure to save what you have written before you navigate out of the journal section.
- Use pen and paper.
- Use a word processor.
- Use the form below.
Thank you for completing your journal. You have now completed the introductory session. When you are ready, please move to Session 2, Communication.
The Communication Standard