Neuroscience and the Classroom: Making Connections
- Coalition of Essential Schools (CES)
- An organization focused on educational reform and practice following the perspective of Theodore (Ted) Sizer as expressed in his books, including Horace's Compromise.
- A theory and perspective that describes how an individual learns as a function of building (constructing) knowledge from existing ideas and new information. Salient themes include an active role of the learner; learners do not come to tasks as clean slates; and context plays an important role. Major early contributors included Jean Piaget and Lev Vygotsky.
- Csíkszentimihályi's theory of optimal experience
- Mihály Csíkszentmihályi's theory of optimal experience describes the concept of "flow" as an optimal state of experience in which attention, effort, and motivation are focused on a task such that the individual is engaged and at a steady state of comfort between being challenged and threatened.
© Annenberg Foundation 2015. All rights reserved. Legal Policy