Life Science: Brassica & Butterfly System
Mother Knows Best
Do female adult Pieris butterflies prefer to lay their eggs on specific plant types? Find out by providing them with different types of plant leaves.
- Place the film can ovipositrons, prepared as described, into a Light House containing adult Pieris butterflies.
- Observe the egg-laying behavior of the female butterflies.
- For each ovipositron over a specific time period, keep track of how many butterflies land and fly away, vs. how many land and lay eggs.
- Leave the ovipositrons in the Light House and observe and record comparative results at 2 hours, 4 hours, 24 hours, and 48 hours.
- How did the butterflies behave when introduced to the ovipositrons?
- How would you describe the process of egg-laying?
- What do you think the butterflies do to select a plant for egg-laying? What’s your evidence?
- What plants, if any, seem to be preferred for Pieris egg-laying?
- What are the consequences of egg-laying to a plant ?
SHARE YOUR RESULTS: Mother Knows Best
TRACK OUR PROGRESS: Mother Knows Best
|prev: how sweet it is|